Every significant period in the history of Burshtyn left silent stone witnesses-historical, architectural and cultural monuments. They were the symbols of epochs, the pride and in some cases, the objects of worship of entire generations of the people of Burshtyn. Wars, fires, floods and hurricanes damaged a lot of the historical heritage of Burshtyn. But some monuments of the past have lived until now. They give the people the opportunity to learn about the history of our town.
The monument on the grave of the Countess fon Rittersfeld.
The monument on the grave of the Countess fon Rittersfeld is situated in the old part of the cemetery. It was erected in 1813 on the grave of the Countess fon Rittersfeld, who was probably Ihnatiy Skarbek’s mother.
The monument consists of the mournful sculpture of a woman in a long tunic, which stands on a rectangular pedestal and a young man dressed as an antique legionnaire, which stands on a low pedestal.
Memorable sign in honor of abolishing serfdom
Situated on the territory of the church of the Exaltation of the Cross, it is a Latin cross made of sandstone. There is no written information on it. According to historical documents the abolishing of serfdom was declared on the 3rd of May in 1848. It was an event, which the peasantry had been waiting centuries for. That day was truly a people‘s holiday. Every year on that day, people gathered here for the so-called “funeral of the serfdom” where they dug a hole, put a bottle of vodka in it, and sometimes a farmer’s tools to symbolize serfdom, below the cross.
The Jewish Cemetery is located near the beginning of Valova Street. In 2000 there were 300 Gravestone Plates. The oldest burial places are dated the XVIII century. There are memorial plates with carved decorative candlesticks on each tomb.
The Memorial Board to Markiyan Shashkeerych
On one of the columns in the “old" church there is a memorial to the 100th anniversary of Ukrainian poet-democrat Markiyan Shashkevych. The memorial plate was put up.
The Communal Grave to the Soldiers of the Soviet Army
This is a communal grave to the soldiers of the Soviet Army, who died during the World War II in the battle for Burshtyn and neighboring villages. The grave is situated in the park in the old part of Burshtyn. In the centre of the memorial is the bronze sculptural composition of the mournful Soviet soldiers with a gun and the helmet in his hands. The memorial is set on a rectangular concrete pedestal. 159 soldiers who fought for the liberation of Burshtyn are buried there. On the front side of the pedestal there is a plaque with the writing: "Eternal glory to the many people, who died in battle for our Motherland."
The symbolic grave to the Fighters for the Freedom of Ukraine
This monument is located near the park in the old part of Burshtyn. It is built in the shape of a pyramid made of earth. On the top of it there is an iron cross with a wreath and the Ukrainian trident.
In front of the grave there are three concrete arks. On the top of the central arc there is the trident with the laurel wreath. It was blessed on the 25th of August in 1991. At the foot of the grave there is a concrete gravestone with a marble table. On it are the names of the people who died in the struggle for the freedom of Ukraine.
The memorial to the underground soldiers of OUN (Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists and the URA (Ukrainian Rebel Army, and to the victims of Stalin Regime)
The central composition of the memorial is located horizontally and is a gravestone. It is made of red-brown granite. On top of it there are two crosses. The first one, which is also made of red-brown granite has a simple form. The names of 23 participants of the liberation struggle of 1940-1950s are written on it. The other one is a smaller, boldly bulged Georgian cross made of black-grey granite, which is similar to the crest of the URA.
The colors of the crosses are associated with the red and black flag of the rebellions, they symbolize the blood and death of the struggle.
It was unveiled on the 12th of August in 2001.
The monument to Taras Shevchenko
One of the best monuments built in Precarpathian lands during the times of the independence of Ukraine is the statue of T. Shevchenko. It is a big bronze statue of Kobzar, which stands on a high pedestal tiled with grey granite. Near the monument there is a sculpture of Bandurist. The creator of this composition is a famous architect named Anatoliy Kushch.
The monument was unveiled on the 24th of August in 1994 for the 180 anniversary of the great Kobzar.
Drugstore № 50
Drugstore № 50 is perhaps Burshtyn’s brightest architectural masterpiece. It is located at Bandera Street. This building was built in the city centre by an unknown Jewish pharmacist who bought the land area from the prince Yablonovskiy.
A one-story brick building, it is simple architecture but massive in the shape of a prolonged rectangle, with stress placed on its three dimensional facade. The décor of the facade is a bit complicated. Its elements are of different styles, which is characteristic to the eclectic architecture of the end of XIX and the beginning of XX centuries. Unfortunately it is used now as a shop and it has been changed a lot.
The sepulcher of counts Skarbek and Yablonskiy
This is an example of the memorial composition, which was characteristic to the period of classicism at the end of XVIII century. The script above its entrance testifies that it was built in 1813 by the prince Ihnatiy Skarbek.
The script reads: "Ihnatiy Skarbek built this for his dearest wife – Liudviha from the Pototskiy family his beloved daughter". The architect of these sculptures, in all likelihood, is the same one who built the sculptures near the Palace. In 2014 the city council got sponsorship for the restoration of the sepulture.
The Church of Saint Trinity
In the old part of Burshtyn, on Bandera Street there is the Church of Saint Trinity. It was erected between 1770 and 1774 in place of a wooden temple built byPaul Benoe in 1740. From 1946-1992 the Burshtyn Roman-Catholic community owned it before it was closed. Once it was closed, it was used as for storage. However, in the 1950s and 1960s it was, again, allowed to be used by the Roman-Catholic community of the city.
The Church of All Saints and Priest-Martyr Joseph
In the late XX century more and more people of Burshtyn became religious. So, the church, built by Ihnatiy Scarbek was too small for such a large number of people. During the last decades of the XX century, the centre of the town has been moved. So the old church appeared on the edge of this new center.
The place for a new church was chosen at the crossroads of the old and new parts of Burshtyn. "The Church of All Saints and Priest-Martyr Joseph" opened in June 1992. It is now located opposite the city cemetery, on Stepan Bandera street.
The temple is a three-dimensional pyramid architectural composition made of 5 domes. The light color of the glass facades which contrasts with the coppery covering of the domes, decorated with gilded crosses, adds to the exterior of the building, has added great to the architectural beautification of Burshtyn. There is a library, two classrooms, a conference hall and archives in the cellar of the church. The church was blessed on December 2, 2001.